Sirenia Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sirenia Forum

A fan community for the gothic metal band Sirenia

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Interview with Dimitris K

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Changed?
Darling Maurice
Darling Maurice
Changed?

Female
Number of posts : 1513
Job/hobbies : Student
Humor : Chelsea Handler Style
Point System :
Interview with Dimitris K Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100Interview with Dimitris K Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-11-23

Interview with Dimitris K Empty
PostSubject: Interview with Dimitris K   Interview with Dimitris K I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi Morten, how are you? Is everything ready for the release of the new album.

Hey Dimitris, I am fine thank you. Everything is more or less ready; the album was mixed produced and mastered. We did the photo sessions, the artwork is also done and some finishing touches on the album’s inlay are left.

Are you satisfied with the overall results?

Yeah, I am very satisfied with the result. It’s an album that we work on for quite some time. We worked pretty hard on this and now that I can sit back and enjoy the results.

So, can you say that the album sounds the way it did when it was in your mind?

You know, an album always turns to be different that it was when you had it in your mind. Ok, you are working on a certain directions but things change during the working process. I had the luck to work again in the studio with people that want to get the same results from SIRENIA like I do. We learn each other through the entire process and yes I can say that it is close to what I had in my mind.

I am asking this because I have been wandering, when can an artist be certain that a new album is ready to be recorded? When can he say "Ok, I am done"?

It is true that you can never be sure that you are done; there will always be something more or new that you can do. Personally, I work very much on the pre-production and there comes a certain time point where everything sounds perfect to my mind. All the arrangements and music details are there. So when I get to this point I actually know that if I was to add more details and songs then the album would be too much and over-produced. So, yes I believe there is a certain limit where you feel that you don’t want to cross before everything gets out of control.

Where does the new album stand musically? Can you say that it is closer to a specific SIRENIA album?

I think that it is close to every SIRENIA album. Usually, I want to take a step further with every new album and musically develop. But with "The 13th Floor" although I did the same thing I wanted to take step towards the past. So, the fans can find elements from all the SIRENIA albums like "At Sixes And Sevens" or our second one "An Elixir For Existence" among some new stuff that we added. I believe that it is a broad album that represents SIRENIA musically through the entire career; what we used to do and what we are doing now.

What about the new singer, Ailyn; how did you choose her?

It was a long process to find a new singer and it actually took a half of a year.

(interrupting) Did you have any standards in your mind of how you wanted the new singer to be?

You have always certain things that are very important to you and of course the band. The most important thing was the singing style that should fit the band and the music of course. Another thing that is also important is the personal side of everything; the chemistry between the members of the band. Because when you work in a band and go on tour for a long time these things really matter. And another thing that came up during the process was that we decided that the new singer should be from Europe because it would quite difficult to have big distances in between us. Last but not least is the image of the singer that is something you need in this kind of music.

What changes did Ailyn bring to the sound of SIRENIA?

She has a wide vocal range; she get both high and low pitches. So, for me as a composer it’s very good because I have more ’free’ hands. I can try things that I couldn’t in the past. It is great to have this voice in the band.

Did you compose the music while Ailyn was in the band?

The music was more or less ready before even we started looking for a singer. But this is the way I write music for SIRENIA; I find it kind of complicated to write music while working with another musician. It is necessary for me to get in a special state of mind and have peace around me. You can get really distracted when you have to interact with other people (laughs). I can write more personal stuff in this way.

Are there any growls in the new album? I have the feeling that in every album the growling vocals were loosing space.

Yes there are. If I remember well we have growling vocals in six songs in the "The 13th Floor." I don’t think it is that we planned or even something we stopped doing even though you are right I am not growling that much (laughs).

What do you prefer singing or playing the guitar?

Well, I like both but I think the guitar has a small but significant lead.

What about the lyrics is there a special meaning behind the album’s title?

You know what, I don’t like talking about the lyrics myself; I want the listeners to figure them out. I believe that it spoils the atmosphere by explaining the content to someone that has not even tried to do it himself.

Ok, that’s fair enough. What your future plans? You had to cancel your first visit here in Greece? Are there any plans to reschedule it?

I really hope we do, it is something that we are planning for a long time to do. Our goal is basically to play live as much as we can. But these things are up to other persons like tour managers and promoters and not us. We want to play live to countries that we have never visited before.

Do you think that this economical crisis will have an impact on the Metal scene? I mean we are talking about a touring and this can be really tough these days.

Yeah, people have less money in their hands than they did so yes it will eventually have an impact in the scene.

I mean can someone survive economically by playing/composing music?

I think it is still possible but you have to really work hard on this.

Ok, Morten thanks for your time. Feel free to add anything.

I would like to thank all the SIRENIA fans in Greece and say that we want to come and play there, I think it will be great.
Back to top Go down
https://sireniaforum.forumotion.com
PaleEnchantress
Banned
Banned
PaleEnchantress

Female
Number of posts : 1090
Job/hobbies : singer
Humor : my soul feels cold and my heart is tired
Point System :
Interview with Dimitris K Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Interview with Dimitris K Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Dimitris K   Interview with Dimitris K I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 9:34 am

I love how he answers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/giulia1510
LeavingYouForMe
A Mental Symphony
A Mental Symphony
LeavingYouForMe

Female
Number of posts : 188
Humor : Strange
Point System :
Interview with Dimitris K Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Interview with Dimitris K Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Dimitris K   Interview with Dimitris K I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 3:37 pm

No wonder we got stuck with Ailyn. Morten only took half a year to search for a singer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midnattsol.com/forum/
PaleEnchantress
Banned
Banned
PaleEnchantress

Female
Point System :
Interview with Dimitris K Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Interview with Dimitris K Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Dimitris K   Interview with Dimitris K I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 10:15 am

LeavingYouForMe wrote:
No wonder we got stuck with Ailyn. Morten only took half a year to search for a singer.

when will he search the next? lol!
Back to top Go down
LeavingYouForMe
A Mental Symphony
A Mental Symphony
LeavingYouForMe

Female
Number of posts : 188
Humor : Strange
Point System :
Interview with Dimitris K Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Interview with Dimitris K Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Dimitris K   Interview with Dimitris K I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 2:30 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.midnattsol.com/forum/
PaleEnchantress
Banned
Banned
PaleEnchantress

Female
Point System :

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Dimitris K   Interview with Dimitris K I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 10:31 am

LeavingYouForMe wrote:
lol!

lol! lol! CHOOSE ME!!!!!!! XDXD lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
SparklingEyesInMyMirror
The Other Side
The Other Side
SparklingEyesInMyMirror

Female
Number of posts : 215
Job/hobbies : Writer/Poet/Songwriter
Humor : You'll Have To Find Out
Point System :
Interview with Dimitris K Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Interview with Dimitris K Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Dimitris K   Interview with Dimitris K I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 4:31 pm

Quote :
She has a wide vocal range; she get both high and low pitches. So, for me as a composer it’s very good because I have more ’free’ hands. I can try things that I couldn’t in the past. It is great to have this voice in the band.

Smile
Back to top Go down
https://sireniaforum.forumotion.com/
PaleEnchantress
Banned
Banned
PaleEnchantress

Female
Point System :

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Dimitris K   Interview with Dimitris K I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 4:13 am

yes
he has right, as always xd
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Dimitris K   Interview with Dimitris K I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interview with Dimitris K
Page 1 of 1