Sirenia Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sirenia Forum

A fan community for the gothic metal band Sirenia

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Changed?
Darling Maurice
Darling Maurice
Changed?

Female
Number of posts : 1513
Job/hobbies : Student
Humor : Chelsea Handler Style
Point System :
The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-11-23

The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) Empty
PostSubject: The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review)   The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 12:57 pm

The 13th Floor marks marks Sirenia 4th cd and yet another one to feature a new vocalist. Following Monika Pedersen's departure in 2007, we were introduce to the pop oriented vocals of Ailyn (Pilar Giménez García). At the time all that was known of her vocals was some bad quality X-Factor videos and Evanescence covers on youtube. This left many skeptic about the feature of Sirenia.

In the The 13th Floor, Sirenia seems to experience yet another musically sound change. The music wouldn't be describe as "pop metal" but yet a lighter take on their well known "gothic" style. Ailyn exhibits perhaps the highest vocal range out of the all the past vocalist. However her voice still manged to fit the sound of the band.

The Path to Decay: The leading single of The 13th Floor and the first song to be heard feature new vocalist Ailyn. To those who likes Sirenia's older sound, this song in a way of it's own quenches that thirst. The symphonic elements that characterize Sirenia can be heard in instrumental parts of the song. Ailyn has clear ponusication and vocally follows the pitch of the music. A note worthy guitar solo is perform by Morten. And towards the end of the song the choirs that Sirenia is known for can heard.

Lost in Life: The song begins with a Final Fantasy style keyboard opening. We are then took into a light hearten instrumental opening. Ailyn's voice comes into the song low and almost mumble like. Then comes the chorus. I must say that the chorus sounds much like Estonian pop. And than it is like we are listening to the first verse again. Uh okay? Than back to the chorus. And like usual with Sirenia we took straight to a interlude by the choir. A little musical prancing as the keyboard instrumental sounds. And the chorus again. The band could by far had done much better with this song.

The Mind Maelstrom: This song would have to be the "darkest" song on the entire cd. Also my favorite. We hear the signature demonic Latin speaking choir. Which also serves as the chorus. For once Sirenia mange to slip them in, in the right style. About time. In comes Ailyn with the first verse. Her voice is a soothing almost classical whisper that seems to be speaking of the end of time. Towards the middle of the song the violins begin leading up to the legendary Morten growls. During this time the song picks an incredible speed. A almost waltz like interlude follow by a return to the final chorus. The song is best describe as "epic".

The Seventh Summer:/As the song beings, I can't help but feel as though I am at the theater watching the orchestra begin. Ailyn comes in sounding like a weary and broken heart story teller. However on the chorus, she can be rather hard to understand. The instruments seem to maintain a heavy rhythmic beat. With choir shouting in at random parts. I have to applaud Ailyn who's voice keeps up the increasing speed of the guitars. Morten seems to a speaker of death as he starts growling to the rhythmic beat. With the choir quickly following him. There is a light keyboard interlude with Morten soothing singing about past events. I would say this song is another highlight of the cd.

Beyond Life's Scenery:We are first taunted by instruments are their heaviness speaks to us. Telling that we will hear something different in this song. And we do. During the verses the guitars and drums are very mellow. And you can almost tell that Ailyn was once a pop singer by her rather bland vocals. Time for the chorus. Here comes the choir follow overly high pitch Ailyn. Once again the second verse sounds like the first. Chorus again. Then things mellow to a fairytale sound. With Ailyn telling the story in a normal pitch voice. Morten then beings to heavy things up with his black metal growls. And than the song resumes.

Led Astray:I can't help but think of Lord of the Rings with this song. Fast, epic, powerful. Ailyn sounding like a Siren, sings melancholy over almost acoustic verses. Fast beat interludes seem to be fond in this song. With hard symphonic elements. The keyboard strikes fast and full of wonder. The choir longs to be unleash as it shouts out in the background. There is a haunting and beautiful orchestral and choir sneaked in to the song. A musical highlight.

Winterborn 77:Right from the being this song seems to be ripped from Nightwish's, The Escapist. A decent song. But it's almost like Lost in Life part II. Actually in fact of writing a description for this one. Just read the one for Lost in Life. It seems to cover this song just as well. If that tells you anything.

Sirens of the Seven Seas:Anyone who was fond of At Sixes And Sevens will like this song greatly. We are taken back to Sirenia's early days. The song is owned by clean male vocals. With the choir serving as the chorus once again. Very much in the genre of folk metal. It is catchy and light. But it sounds like Sirenia. Morten slips his growls in for one last time. Acoustic sounds can be greatly heard. And Ailyn flows in with a siren like part much like on the older songs of Fabienne and Henriette. A very fond song.

Overall The 13th Floor wasn't Sirenia's best. But it did have it's highlights such as The Mind Maelstrom and Sirens of the Seven Seas. I didn't speak of the lyrics as well Morten's lyrics always carry's the same theme. No reason to expect change there. Ailyn's debut as the new vocalist couldn't had been better. Even if she wasn't easy to hear at times. The choirs weren't at their best. I expected better from them. And musically it was decent. I give it 3/5
Back to top Go down
https://sireniaforum.forumotion.com
Tayla
Submerged
Submerged
Tayla

Female
Number of posts : 682
Job/hobbies : Poet
Humor : It's here,somewhere
Point System :
The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review)   The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 12:28 pm

A very nice and lengthy review!
Back to top Go down
http://www.chaliceoffemmemetal.com
Reumeren
A Shadow Of Your Own Self
Reumeren

Male
Number of posts : 68
Job/hobbies : Student, part-time worker
Humor : None
Point System :
The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) Left_bar_bleue40 / 10040 / 100The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review)   The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 3:21 pm

A very good read Smile
I like the way you described The Mind Maelstrom!
Back to top Go down
Changed?
Darling Maurice
Darling Maurice
Changed?

Female
Point System :

PostSubject: Re: The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review)   The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 4:22 pm

Thank you! Very Happy When I have the time, I will do one for The Enigma of Life. The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) 38662
Back to top Go down
Isa la Belle

Female
Number of posts : 82
Point System :
The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) Left_bar_bleue35 / 10035 / 100The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2011-01-07

PostSubject: Re: The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review)   The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 12:02 am

Oh... Looking Forward.
Back to top Go down
Reumeren
Reumeren

Male
Number of posts : 68
Job/hobbies : Student, part-time worker
Humor : None
Point System :
The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) Left_bar_bleue40 / 10040 / 100The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review)   The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 8:17 am

I'm also inspired to do one now Smile I have written some lengthy ones for other albums not related to Sirenia.
Back to top Go down
Changed?
Darling Maurice
Darling Maurice
Changed?

Female
Point System :

PostSubject: Re: The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review)   The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Go for it! I would love to hear what you have to say. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review)   The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 13th Floor (Darling Maurice Review)
Page 1 of 1